Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Race and Malaysian Exams

My finals might have been over for weeks already, but the semester break gave something to think about when I look at my sis' exams.

I'm sure most of you guys remember back in secondary school or even primary school we are required to fill in a form asking about your background, including the small check boxes asking for your race. It looked something like this:

Bangsa:
Melayu
Cina
India
Bumiputera
Lain-lain
__________

It didn't strike me much during my times doing national exams years ago, but it was something to ponder about when I was in the toilet the other day. Why would a student's race have to do with exams? Sh*t, I mean isn't the student's name enough to give you a clue what he/she/it is? Once they do know what race they are, are they going to treat the student's marking standard differently? Isn't this equivalent to racial profiling? Oh and did they ask for what religion are you? Not to mention they keep putting a long __________ at the Lain-lain (others) section expecting it to be filled, makes these 'Lain-lain' people feel like outcasts.

Jantina:
Lelaki
Perempuan
Lain-lain __________


Or English translation;

Sex:
Male
Female
I do both Im fokking bi fokker!


Enough said.

Luckily on university level (from one's experience), the only thing the exams would ask from me is my name, student ID and course of study. They don't ask for race, religion, phone number, e-mail, weight, height, sexual orientation or Facebook account. Basically no nosing too deep up my @$$ for irrelevant info that have nothing to do with exams.

1 comment:

アンジェリーン said...

ooo we jst put student ID and your seat number if the day, change every subject of cos since number of student taking it varies.