Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Command & Conquer Generals DirectX 8.1 Error

Let's say you were able to play Command & Conquer Generals or Zero Hour before and now this error pops up:

DirectX Error: Please make sure you have DirectX 8.1 or higher installed. Also verify that your video card meets the minimum requirements. I bet most of you now have DirectX 11.

Here's an easy and quick fix.
For C&C Generals:  Go to My Documents > Command & Conquer Generals Data
For C&C Zero Hour: Go to My Documents > Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data

Then delete the Options.ini

The highlighted gear thingy is the Options.ini (may be other icon on other OS). Its Type is Configuration settings. Delete it. Destroy it without further thought.

Then run the game again. Enjoy!

9 comments:

moeed9ben said...

I did this but error didnt go

Unknown said...

Yah it didn't do a thing

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

All you had to do was to manually change your resolution entry.

This error often occurs when your game is set to an illegal resolution - that is, one that either your game or your graphics card cannot support. This often happens after you've updated your graphics drivers, or installed some patch or similar tweak. It would be best to change it to one of the defaults (ie. 1024x768), and it should all be fine. :)

EDIT: Typo.

Unknown said...

it worked on my beloved pc with windows 7 thanks alot :) me like mr quick fix :)

heshan said...

yep..just changing the resolution in the options.ini worked for me.Its worthy to try it out..

Unknown said...

deleting the options thing worked for me but i still cant install c&c generals zero hour ....

Unknown said...

I just do all of you sayed but my general steel dont working now but i can open that for some mount last

Unknown said...

DIEGO's Comment above works. I changed mine to 1920 1080 in options.ini. It was set at a resolution that wasn't compatible to my video card.