Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Acer Aspire 4520


When Aspire 5572 got fried by lightning all was not lost. It's spirit was reincarnated into Acer Aspire 4520 which I obtained while I was back in Kampua Town for CNY. Technically everything is new except for some salvageable parts I scavenged from 5572 which are later added to 4520. Why another Acer? Well frankly speaking I don't want to waste all my would be ang pow on something at one go (this was before CNY and I had everything planned and accounted for), plus I spent 2 days scouring Kampua Town on the eve of CNY (it was no fun with all the jams and crowds) looking for the next best machine and eureka! I stumbled upon this little beast.

I was left with two choices of the same model that day, one 4520 with Intel and another with AMD with NVIDIA GeForce graphic card, both on the same shelf in the same shop with the same price tag. Basically it was love at first sight and I came back to that shop the next day. It was a quick decision, as my gamer side influenced me to grab the one with AMD AND the NVIDIA (gila good bargain wey). Here's the spec:

- AMD® Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-60 (2.0 Ghz, 2 x 512KB L2 Cache)
- NVIDIA GeForce 7000M (Wheee!!! XD No more lag playing big games)
- 1 Gb DDR2 (Originally 512, but was added with 512 RAM from 5572)
- 270GB HDD (Originally 120Gb, also upgraded with salvaged parts)
- 802.11b/g WLAN
- DVD-Super Multi DL
- Dolby Digital Live built-in speakers

Oh the 4520 have no Bluetooth (yeah wtf indeed, all the post-'07 pre-'08 laptops have no Bluetooth, hmm?) but never mind, bought RM50 external Bluetooth device so problem solved.

This 4520 is not to be mistaken with the one with Intel. The AMD processor version has a total white frame, whereas the Intel processor version has a black top frame and white bottom frame as seen here. And eerily the power button resembles X-Box 360's power button (click here).

I don't really enjoy having a built-in webcam. Why? Because you'll never know you might left it on while you are away doing something unimaginable in the background... But anyways the Crystal Eye webcam is nice, comes in 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 resolution. Very clear too, but have that 'rusty' effect in low light environment.

Here comes the customizations. I won't buy if I can't personalize it. Yes, the original crystal-ish back casing was nice, but I sent it to Apple Signcraft in Lanang that very afternoon for a full Hishamization. I wanted a vinyl with my name in VAIO curvaceous font style, and she gave me this. Never mind la, she did it for free. Plus Apple know my taste and preference for black and shiny stuff, and this was a job well done. I'll give Apple another visit on the next holiday to change the name font.

I also asked Apple to put another layer of vinyl on the left hand pad where the AMD and NVIDIA sticker were (hence the 2 lumps in the pic). Why? Because from experience, that part of the laptop will turn black after prolonged gaming use...

The OS? The new Windowz Hisham 2008. A Ham-made hybridized operating system composing elements from Mac OS X and Linux based on XP. No Vista. No more please.

Oh ya almost forgot. The 4520 cost RM1,999 only. That's why it was a good bargain. I've seen some markets in Oil Town selling them for RM2,099, that extra RM100 is a rip off. Apart from th RM1,999 you can add another RM298 to get 3 years warranty. Nifty.

7 comments:

アンジェリーン said...

fry by lighting? so on one of ur pc 24/7 shift (as usual) a bolt of lighting decide to 'befriend' with it ah?

AMD processor good or not?

Cool laptop in overall and it’s a bargain.

Ham said...

well yeah, the lightning took away the life of me old wee 5572... rest in fried pieces 5572 :(

Um so far so good. AMD not much complain, except that I get Blue Screen of Death/BSOD when I play DotA (only this game) but apart from that AMD works just fine. (But still haven't confirm whether the BSOD is caused by AMD or stg else that I add in the 4520)

Yup, cool n sexy, Ham like it like it :)

アンジェリーン said...

haha so fast another pc gone for you

anyway it really didn't look much different than your old one esp when you modified everything to your own likeness. well good now i know someone with AMD, so have 'guinea pig' that can help provide feedback whether it's good or not haha, almost everyone around me got pc with intel so cannot compare is AMD any match with core 2duo. The other day saw the big capacity (the one u mention is it 1000GB??) external on sales in Harvey norman *_* straight away am thinking how much anime + drama + songs + photos can i fit in there....

Ham said...

u know wat they say, easy come easy go... for me its easy come, easier go -___-

for the first time i become the 'guinea pig' instead =.= orite i'll keep u posted abt the AMD. For now it's still a probation period for me and this new 'wife'. haha

Yesh its 1000GB a.k.a 1TB (Tera bytes). Edi available in KL but not sure when it will reach here. Either way, I'd be happy if it reaches here soon, coz i'm running out of space for all the games, movies, series and ESPECIALLY anime. I think its about time they come out with 1TB. In Msia it's RM1000+++ so it's RM1 per 1GB. How much does in Oz?

アンジェリーン said...

around that price as well if i convert lah, $_$ wanna get.... haha but then if it's fry 1000GB of data gone @_@ my hd both pc and external is running out of space!!been thinking just go get few dvd back up some i really want watch some during the holiday and delete it, it's not so much of the game take taking up the space it's the dunno how many thousand of song i collected since 2002 till now and the drama + anime (some from you) so yeap i have memory crisis haha, arcade game took up very few space haha, nvr really enjoy pc game that much, am more of the joystick person esp for the action game and RPG hehehe i want a contoller like ps, xbox and wii. Just recently available for kl or what? cos i saw the 1Tb in store on 21th of feb, when i just arrive here.

Ham said...

1Tb hits the shelves this year. i dont advise buying now, RM1k is insane... imagine how many kampua you can eat wif that kinda money. Just wait it out n hopefully the price will drop rock bottom when 1Peta byte (1000Tb?) becomes available.

アンジェリーン said...

haha yeap that's why am thinking just got few dvd to backup those i wanna keep so can rewatch when am bored beside am very poor lately haha got lot's of need to but and want to buy stuff