Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Borneo Cultural Festival '09

Um... eh... hm.... culture?

I managed to visit this year's Borneo Cultural Fest (BCF) last night. This year it runs from the 3rd till 11th July at the Sibu Town Square. Sadly I don't see much "culture" as how BCF was 4-5 years ago. Back then there were authentic Iban tattooist giving tats to foreigners, actual wooden tibau (gigantic Melanau swing) for visitors to play and to break their backs (ouch to the old lady ><) and actual sets featuring how Chinese, Melanau, Malay etc houses looks and feels like at each corner of the town square. This year, it's just food, food, food, stage performance, food, car auto show, food, logging equipments, food, funfair, food and food ("blame the economy" they say). It feels more like a trade expo than a cultural based event :(

Don't these kids have school in the morning? Or do they have kelas petang?

Umm... can I express it out loud? The purple lights are just too gay...

There you go, cultural food that you can find everyday in kopitiams and side road stalls are all available here...

At the main Town Square A (that's what I think they call it, the one facing Sanyan) is where the main stage. I'm seriously against crowds, so seeing these much sitting in front of the stage just turned me off...

Instead I'd rather join these folks squatting in front of a giant TV screen watching the performances on the stage...

Performances such as from... ummm who is this girl?

Cars can be cultural too, I guess... like this Chevrolet complete with localized style tribal tattoos on it. Very foreign yet local. Mmm culture...

Across Town Square A is obviously Town Square B where all the trade expo and funfair are located. Wheee bumper cars!

Until now I don't know why they kicked me out after I drove in my own bumper dozer into the bumper car arena...

Look! Remember these? Owh-so-classic funfair games :D You know, throw ping-pong balls into the appropriate holes, shoot the balloons with a Glock, fish ducks/fish out of the pond etc to get points and win prizes... yippee!

En! My favourite! The "shoot-those-blasted-glued-rings-but-they-never-go-into-the-bottle" games with air-rifles. But these weren't air-rifles. They were bolt-action homemade rifles that can knock out a full grown cat wohoo!

Owh one more thing, don't wear slippers or sandals... the fairgrounds can be a bit berbatu and muddy...

P/S: Yes I know, this sounds like a post flaming BCF. But you can refer to others who cover up the bright side. Just let me cover the bad side to be fair eh?

1 comment:

アンジェリーン said...

uhu, dunno why car is always part of whatever event they have~ seriously not related! Malaysian didn't invent any car or have any car relate culture!! they can consider "the revolution of malaysian made car" if they want during hari kebangsaan, but not culture festival pls! and not during Christmas or any other event~