Saturday, January 16, 2010

Senadin - e-Mart's Jalan Ilmu: Rest in Pieces

It was the 3rd consecutive rainy day but summer course went on. It was Round 3 session for my Capstone and the group yielded promising results. As promised it's time for a small celebration at the newly opened e-Mart KFC.
On the way back to continue our work we used the same Senadin - e-Mart road which was heavily flooded with everyone treading at 10-40KMph. Miri roads in these parts are just like Sibu roads, except that it produces more random potholes after rain (mind you it was raining for 3 days 4 nights already). I guessed this happened on the way back...

We didn't notice it as the road was already bumpy and the strong currents of red earth water made any holes undetectable (just like Sibu-Mukah road, except in Miri the dark-water flood hides the 1-6 inch potholes on the dark wet asphalt). The damage was only discovered BEFORE we went back to Purgatory and AFTER I was going to send on of my teammate to fetch her laptop. I was flabbergasted at the damage because 5 people in the car did not even feel a thing on the way back.

I guess that's why a JPJ SUV from Senadin slowed down and pointed at me (I thought he was talking to his colleague about the rising water). Anyways we went back to the possible crash site and as expected I saw pieces of my front kit scattered and submerged along the already sinking road. Picking up the pieces was no fun job, and the sight of us stopping on the middle of the road made drivers from Senadin turn back. It was über-saddening to experience such accident and my jolly mood was 100% changed into über-emo moment.

The next day, or the 4th day of raining the Getz was sent to a body shop for a refitting as engine or tires were not affected. It will be a few days before I can get it back. And later the same day I asked my cousin to drive me back to that road to see what 'killed' the Getz. As expected the road was still flooded.

Not surprisingly at ground zero, we found more pieces of body kits scattered around the road. They're not mine because I collected all the pieces back (a sad complete-the-puzzle moment when I got it all). And from what I can see there's a huge piece of a metallic silver Myvi's rear body kit looking 'fresh' on the semi-flooded asphalt, along with other pieces of unrecognizable carbon fiber and plastics. I guess the owners of those debris didn't know their vehicles' body kit got PWNed by the killer road. I feel like erecting a memorial at the site but the cost of the repair is already costly. Plus suing Miri Municipal Council or JKR is not feasible because it is not clear who should be blamed for this accident (let's not forget the lawyer cost).

I really hope Miri's Minicipal Council look into this matter IMMEDIATELY and patch up the holes before more damage is done, or worse. Please do revise the drainage system of the Senadin-e-Mart road which is ironically named Jalan Ilmu (Knowledge Road). We do know gaining ilmu is no easy task and costly, but please the safety and sanity of the students, as well as the other Senadin residents are at stake. I'm pleading on behalf of the community here, as well as the whole Miri community, for the matter to be attended to a.s.a.p. We don't want another Sibu-Mukah road. I'm already stressed out because of this avoidable accident. Haihz...


To those who are reading this, especially those who are in Miri, driving, and uses the Jalan Ilmu, please do re-post this somewhere or at least spread the word to prevent other drivers from suffering the same costly fate as we did. Thanks to all who gave me support and help during this unbelievably emo-causing accident. Thanks also to DIGBY and Fiona for the recordings.

Links:
Click here to read the infamous back-breaker Sibu-Mukah road
Facebook link: Click here to watch me picking up the pieces

4 comments:

joyce said...

hoh........

kfc @ emart. din call me lah...
aish~

alot lubang at tepi tepi there, so i owayz drive on the middle..

アンジェリーン said...

RIP to ya 'sacrificed'pieces

アンジェリーン said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
アンジェリーン said...
This comment has been removed by the author.