Wednesday, September 24, 2008

This Acer Aspire 4520 is Hot!


So after roughly 7 months spending my time with the Aspire 4520, I started to get the usual trademark of Acer laptops; overheating. Yeah, it's one of those "so hot you can cook an egg on the laptop" hot. It started after 5 months of use, so it's either the hardware or the tweaking I imposed on the machine, and the cooler is certainly working its arse off 24/7. By then I tried to undervolt it and only managed to reduce the temperature from 70'C to 55-57'C minimum with RightMark CPU Clock Utility.


Then weeks later the overheating started to get to me, with the laptop BBQing my CDs alive. 100% of my game installation failed since the CDs are BBQed and expanded out of proportion due to the heat (to the point it misshapen and scratched the innards of the laptop). I considered using this sure-100%-working method to cool off the laptop, but I'm going to reserve it as a last option:



So I turned to SpeedFan that I stumbled upon coincidentally one fateful day. It's a software that allows the user to manipulate and configure the fan of the system and this should fix my machine that is in the heat, so I thought. Turns out the software doesn't apply to this Acer 4520, and I can't configure anything since certain interface is disabled as seen in the screenshot below:


Um yeah, take note of the core temperature: 72'C ftw XD

Damn it. I just uninstalled SpeedFan, and embarked on a never ending quest around Google and try to find something to cool of this hot 4520. The hunt continues!

3 comments:

RUN WITH THE WAVE said...

Hey there! Come and join us for a BBQ buffet at the beach in Penang with watersports activities included this Christmas! Sign up now! Check out my website at www.runwiththewave.com Thanks!

Cat Feeder said...

alamak...my wife laptop also can bbq like yours.

put a fan behind it, still overheat while playing dota.

and normal sub RM20 notebook fan don't work on this thing.

Ham said...

there's another solution besides the kipas n cooler bro;

clean the heatsink.

after a while the kipas in the heatsink accumulates a lot of habuk (like normal standing fan) that it reduces the cooling performance.