Tuesday, February 9, 2010

AMD Dual Core Review

I was browsing through for updates and stumbled upon an article talking about AMD Dual Core Optimizer. Well, supposedly Vista and 7 optimize the dual-core by default. Does this mean that my AMD Turion 64 x2 is not being fully utilized?

After using Windows 7 for almost 5 months already, I have no complains on sluggishness. But heck I downloaded the 4MB optimizer anyways to see if there are differences to my machine's performance.
The installation was quick and harmless. But it did not appear anywhere in the programs. I was left wondering if it had been installed or not but the second attempt of installation mentions uninstallation, so it was installed.

After that I forced my machine to the max with several lesser apps on (e.g. MSN, Mozilla, Avast!, Xion, downloaders etc) then went on with the heavy games. No difference. I can't test the FPS because I uninstalled Fraps months ago and have no intention to reinstall. But even without specific software showing FPS, I seriously don't see any differences to the frame rates; still the same sluggishness when the nukes went off on HIGH, and running fast when I'm fielding an army (thanks to DirectX11 that is included with Windows 7). I admit my old Geforce 7000M is the bottleneck and it could limit the potential ability of the optimizer.

So is this optimizer thing worth it? I may have done something wrong somewhere, but ultimately it is seriously useless with no significant effects. You can try it out though if you have dual-core AMD processor by downloading it here at support.amd.com

No comments: