Monday, February 1, 2010

Losing Horsepower

Recently, well actually for the past few months, I've started to feel my Getz' acceleration has gotten a bit more sluggish. A few theories;
  1. I've been driving 2.0 and 2.5 vehicles now and then, so reverting back to 1.5 may be a performance-culture-shock.
  2. The roads and accidents the Getz has finally affected the 5+ year old car.
  3. The Getz is really losing torque and horsepower over the years.
  4. It's just heavy.
  5. Someone left 15 bowling balls and 200KG of durian in the trunk.
Just the other morning to breakfast, I can barely get a decent acceleration to get out of a T junction and end up causing the incoming 150-meters-away Hilux to slow down and show the finger (maybe). Luckily my face is already thick enough to just ignore the guy and driving away pretending nothing had happened. But revving the engine to 4,000rpm to get to 40 is kinda bollocks.

Well knowing the fella for 5 years already I won't blame it or anything. Because somehow I can't get enough acceleration in the day, often prompting me to use the overdrive all the way. At night however, the Getz is a beast, reaching 90-12Kmph with ease (inclusive of ovetaking slower vehicles and going back into the lanes). And you might think I did not let the engine warm up enough in the morning, that theory is plausible because I usually start the car, lock the door open the gate, get in the car, change CDs check if I forget anything then change CD again because the song was last nite and then reverse. Give and take that is already 2-3 minutes. The engine is already warm enough to warm the steel hood. I'll try warming it up for another 10 minutes and see the difference (most unlikely because that's too long and unrealistic).

Either way I'll treat the car like my own offspring because I know it more than anyone else. It survived 2 collisions with bigger vehicles with nothing more than dents thanks to its heavy body, and managed to run smoothly despite horrific body disfigurement. So the next time you see a Getz accelerating as fast as slowly it could out of a junction, please slow down and respect its sluggishness like how you respect a walking elder.

No comments: