Thursday, February 11, 2010

TMNet Speed Theory

Lately the speed has been ridiculously slow. Yes blaming and flaming Malaysia's sole monopolizing internet service provider TMNet is common in Facebook, blogs and even in Wikipedia. Thus I do think we should be rational in this scenario.

I have two packages (if not mistaken RM99 for 1.00Mbps for both Kampua Town and Oil Town) and compared it with colleagues with RM60 packages. Whenever the RM60 slow speed complaints turned up on Facebook statuses, I just have noticeable lag when opening Google. I'm coming up with a theory that the cheapest package e.g the RM60-80 ones are pathetic because it is the Malaysian's #1 package of choice, hence it cannot cope with the growing number of users. And then the RM90 and above are better because lesser users are consuming the allocated bandwidth, hence better performance when the RM60 are complaining. The same apply for higher (more expensive) packages.

Speedtest.net confirmed the performance. My best download speed is 0.59Mb/s with a pathetic 0.04Mb/s upload speed. It performed 590kbps out of the 1000kbps subscribed package. Wow imagine if I'm a 1Mbps subscriber and lost almost 50% of subscribed speed, you can do the math for the users of 512kbps or even the 384kbps. Loading flashgames in Facebook at 256kbps or 192kbps are sure pain in the arse. But those with the RM268 4Mbps package, I think they will wonder "What are these people complaining about? What slow line? Nadai pun..."

Hence my theory on why during down time you can see many people complaining about the line while few saying theirs is good. Please bersyukur with the line people, it is unlimited. Once you experience LIMITED bandwidth in countries such as Australia, you would begin to appreciate the line back in home country. And when we start to abuse the unlimited bandwidth I'm sure its creator can take this rare gift away from us and only then we will start repenting. However I'm really looking forward to the day when I don't have to wait for a 1.5 minutes YouTube video to buffer over 5 minutes.

Test your internet speed now at Speedtest.net

No comments: