Thursday, January 10, 2008

Remember the Old Days? (For Boys)

Remember Pokemon? You know Poké Balls, Poké Dex, gotta catch 'em all etc? And back then we knew every names, types, infos on the 251 Pokemon, and always bring our Game Boys to school and tuitions to trade, battle or just to show off lolz. Those were the days...

It's just a phase when all boys are in a hype of something (like we have anything better to do at those times). Well our batch of generation Y (1986-'88) was caught up between two hypes for Digimon and Pokemon and I remember the fad lasted a few years, until we grew up found something better to do. Somewhere in Primary 5-6 most of the boys got a Digivice and beat the crap out of other kids mashing C A B, B A C, A B A B A B C buttons on the Digivice just to give the other Digimon a virus. As if after my parents bought me a RM54 Digivice wasn't enough, I found another Digivice which someone left at my house (and didn't claim back) and the fanaticism for Digimon grew.

Then somewhere between Primary 6 and Form 1 there was a transition betwee Digimon to Pokemon. When a GAME BOY COLOR was first introduced to me, the first game I got immediately was Pokemon lolz. From there the real bigger craze to catch 'em all began began all the way till Form 3. I would just come back from school and play the damn thing
no matter where or when until the batteries ran out. The versions I played was according to the version release chronology. First it was Pokemon Yellow, Red and Blue (black and white), then it's the colorized Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Silver, Pokemon Crystal and then stop. Those game tapes weren't cheap either, RM70+ if I'm not mistaken and unfortunately there weren't cetak rompak tapes around. Even though I stopped I still find myself playing new versions like Emerald and Ruby emulated for PC (bored but still find it fun to play). Now I lost track of the game updates already, heck I lost track of the hand-held gaming world, mainly because I have to disconnect myself cold turkey from my old gaming life of hand-held and console (but not PC hehe).

You guys still remember this? Back then used to buy some of these mini cars and race them at Sing Kwong race track (old Hobbies & Toys Center) or home-made tracks. I think I still have one model Black Shadow left collecting dust in my display shelf.

But now I see the trend of boys fad hype is dying. See this:


Digimon > Pokemon > Yu-gi-oh > Naruto? > ???

(Sorry if I exclude Beyblade or Crash Gear or etc in the chronology, I just want to make the chronology look clean). As an ex-wee little lad I'm pretty much concerned with this development. I fear my own kid one day would not enjoy the pleasure of living a fad and share the experience with friends like how we used to. Sure, right now seeing my young 8-12 year old cousins and nephews cutely greet each other Naruto style (you know those fancy hand thingy) and talk about the anime episodes, chakra and s*it that I'm clueless about (I'm not into Naruto FYI) is normal since we used to do almost similar things at our age, but I do hope this scene will persist in the future. But should the trend of these hype fad dies the kids in the future would be stuck at their holographic computer screens playing games 24/7 and all their socializing and sharing interests as mentioned above are done online, quietly with the kids smiling and laughing to himself. I already started to see those scenes with small kids playing DotA today. And that suck. Haihz...

2 comments:

W.W.Chan said...

NOt only DotA dude, even Kids nowadays grind to themselves in Maple Story .. lol

Timothy said...

Hey, cool flashbacks of the old digimon, pokemon, tamiya, audley cars age...haha...nice post..