Friday, January 25, 2008

Why Can't We Be Friends?

Check out the meaning for the "Fruitful" trait (Click to enlarge). Hm... this Ham Julius XI very ganas haha XD. This is just part of what I do to keep myself sane while going through summer course alone. It's an old game actually, 2004 Rome: Total War, but this is the only 'latest' Total War game I can support (for the unaffiliated, it's similar Sanguo). I got severe lag with Medieval II: Total War, so what chances does my wee lil 5572 has against the monstrous upcoming Empire: Total War, guarantee this message will pop up:

I'll just get a new machine later lah using my own hard-earned cash, more value and love that way. For now I'll just stick to whatever I have and enjoy my own personal full scale war with my neighboring factions just for kicks.

Yeah, fights like the above are normal lately while I'm here spending the last moments of summer course. Sure I could opt for sitting here doing nothing but completing my assignment and revise for last test next week, but that's not the way of Ham. Hey, all work and no fun makes Ham a soulless boy.

Back to the title. Why can't we be friends? Someone inspired me to start this post, in addition to certain games I've been playing over and over again. Yeah, like the scenario that led to my 2nd Rome-Carthage conflict prior to the clash above was due to xenophobic attitude. I mean, we might seem 'friendly and peaceful' towards each other and have trade agreements, but that's it. When some countrymen like ambassadors etc. set foot on their land they act as if they're superior. Until certain point where they purposely blocked my men's path or even try to assassinate them. If only I could remind them that I'm generous enough to let my traders to spend and trade in their country. But I guess it can't be helped, if they don't like foreigners so be it. It's a human nature since the prehistoric age to be on the defensive when strangers comes in to their turf. And I think the same would happen to us if a new dude we don't even know asked permission to use our home's toilet. Things like these will run through our heads:

"Who the puck is this guy? Suddenly borrow toilet..."
"I hope he flush and won't leave an unpleasant aura"
"Your house no toilet kah?"
"Ok so he needs to go, but why here? Sienz..."

Those are just the issues when we're on foreign territory. Sadly though the same will/could/must happen with fellow countrymen in the foreign soil. Like in Rome: Total War where Rome itself is made up of 3 families of Scipii, Brutii and Julii (currently playing this family). We're all fighting for the glory of Rome, but in the end of the day I myself won't know the progress of the other families. Things like these often occur:

"Hi, I'm Decious Julius, from Julii capital city of Arretium. Where are you from Ham? Oh you're from Roman Empire as well, nice, which part? What, Sibu? uh, ok... you guys have paved roads, communal farming, Colosseum or Streamyx there?"

S*it. Fellow countrymen don't even know where another fellow countrymen hometown is. And usually those from the capital or big cities will have this perspective of the other lesser known small towns in the SAME country to be backward and mundur. From there onwards what used to be a respectful and friendly conversation will turn into an oppressive ignorant talk. No kidding, I mean how many Malaysians nationwide know where Sibu is? Sure i's a small town though but at least as Malaysians the should know there's a crater on Mars is named after Sibu. Sure I myself don't know 100% about the peninsular either, but that's not a reason to think Sarawakians still live in trees, and no need to show off what you have at your place. Which reminds me of a story of a lady getting a KFC coupon upon purchase in KL:

"Can I use this coupon in Miri?
"Sorry ma'am, you can only use it in Malaysia"
"..."

I found a way to answer people asking where I'm from. Like saying I'm from somewhere south, Sarawakian, or less loso Malaysian. Swat.
Just trying to be as humble as possible like that will usually make the other big city folks brag less about their hometown. But over time my presence here have accidentally advocated the co-relationship of gangsters and Sibu, which resulted in me coming from Town of Gangsters and Kampua (sheesh thanks a lot guys XD but I don't mind lolz pretty nifty). I just wonder how long will this "my-place-have-this-s*it-and-yours-don't-have" scenario persist.

No comments: