Thursday, February 26, 2009

Line 4 Dead

Biar Lambat Asal Selamat


When I returned to h3666, Senadin on the 8th me and my roomie Hallod was left 4 dead with no line to connect us to the outside world. I was busy with training that time and Hallod took the initiatives to go to town and get a Celcom Broadband, or the Blue Cube thingy. Hence we could online since then until now and allow me to write this post tonite.

The saddest thing is, its Broadband or more commonly known as Narrowband. Hallod got choked out as he was paying RM499 for the device in the picture alone, I suppose it was the 'Sarawak import tax' plus the 'expensive Boulevard rent tax' plus 'You're not Sarawakian tax'. If I'm not mistaken it was only RM300 in the west and fortunately the monthly payment remained the same. And then there's the speed. OOOOOOOWWWH GODDDDDDDDDD the speed (I rarely use His name under petty curcumstances but this one is a real sin that I should bring up on Judgement Day). So slow was the speed that I was staring at a blank white screen for 15 seconds before the Google page loads up. You can do the maths for the load time for Facebook and Blogger etc. The Braodband uses whatever line it can get to let users online, and here in Senadin it was either GPRS or 3G. And we all know 3G is limited in town areas, imagine residential areas like Senadin; almost non-existent. So in the end the device automatically switches between GPRS and 3G with different speed (all slow) and it limits users to a 5Gb download per month. Goodbye Gundam 00.

Hallod was kind enough to share his Broadband via LAN cable (the green cable in the pic, it's Hallod's laptop) without charging me, so I was happy enough to settle down with a shared 2.2Kbps, I repeat 2.2 Kbps and I repeat again 2.2Kbps line. I'm going for a wait-and-watch mode to see if my new house is going to be completed in time this semester, so I can save the trouble of registering a line then transferring it to the new house. So it's 2.2Kbps line for me for the moment. It's already Week 1 of the semester and I've already started to feel the pain of the slow line when I try to access Perth server and even the Miri campus server. Slow to the max with the occasional blank white page with the word Done in the lower left corner. So I'm lucky if I can see the webpages after 5-10 minutes sitting lifelessly on my Made in Malaysia plastic chair staring at the blank white Loading screen.

1 comment:

アンジェリーン said...

so it's a miracle that this post even can be posted up tot this site is it~ walao Rm400 for snail service~ and the bye bye Gundam 00 part, so sad, right at the time when the story finally in climax~