Saturday, September 12, 2009

What's in Your Fillet-O-Fish?

Finally we are exposed to what kind of fish McDonald's have been using in their fishy burgers...

Fillet-O-Fish
Juicy fish fillet in a golden cracker crumb coating, smothered in tangy tartar sauce and rounded out with cheese between a freshly steamed bun
RM5.80

For the past 20++ years of my life I have never thought of what fish McDonald's been using in their tasty Fillet-O-Fish. Well, after 20++ years on Earth, I discovered I've been paying RM5.80 to eat these not so attractive aquatic friends:

This is the Hoki fish or whiptail or Macruronus novaezelandiae that thrives south of New Zealand. Somehow it reminds me of the salted jerk fish in a jar a.k.a. 100 years-old super salty fish I always get from Mukah.

And I thought we were paying for top quality fish like salmon or tuna or something instead of these sad chaps who are now at the brink of extinction. Since you are what you eat, I'm not touching McD's burgers for a while.

Source: The Ledger

3 comments:

アンジェリーン said...

OO i seldom order Fillet-O-Fish... but well u r complaining as u pay RM5.80 for it, here people paying the same number but in AUD$. Same piece of fish but different price (wtf~)and well quite obvious lah that it's not salmon since salmon got very distinguish taste + orange/red color flesh~ and it's not tuna cos tuna taste way more fishy (for me)

(ps: It do look like the canned fish we got in malaysia... those real fishy one which cannot be eaten without it's tomato paste... cats favorite~ also dog fav!? i sometime give them that hahaha )

Azi Witwicky said...

EE ba i like fillet o fish. :(

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view