Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Why I: Don't Respond to Hashim

Being a student in a multicultural learning environment I grew tolerance to several versions of my names from colleagues. I understand it's due to their slang that somewhat changed my names into Hysan, Hii Sheng, Hisma (wth?), etc. I'll confirm with them whether he/she was calling me by looking at them and go "ya?" and 99% of the time they were. But there will always be one version of the distortion that I would not respond, ever. Hashim.

Why? Because my original Arabic name of Hisham means "Generous" while Hashim means "Crusher of Evil" or "Broker". Slightly different pronounciation but different meanings overall. And because of this, added with my learnt kiasuism nature, I won't respond to people calling me with the latter. If the latter is called I'll assume there's a Hashim nearby and I'll save the trouble of looking at them and go "ya?'.

Hope that clears up several unanswered attentions. Plus, I prefer being generous than being a broker. Being the middle-man can be so confusing and mafan. Haha.

1 comment:

RayZzZz said...

Good thing I never played with people's name.. ok maybe except kah wai.. hahahahaha.. I'll stick to call you Ham :P