Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ahmad Ismail, Don't Be So Racist, It's Merdeka Day

Let's see what this muthadude said in Permatang Pauh by-election:

"Ahmad had allegedly called the Chinese pendatang (immigrants) and was also reported to have said that “as the Chinese were only immigrants it was impossible to achieve equal rights amongst races” during a ceramah in Permatang Pauh in Aug 25." [thestaronline.com.my, 2008]

And let's see what our beloved Pak Lah said as a reply:

I will tell him not to do it again. You know in a campaign all sorts of things can come up. I don’t think he meant it. I’ll make sure to tell him not to use it again,” the Prime Minister said after chairing the Bertam Umno division meeting yesterday." [thestaronline.com.my, 2008]


Dear Encik Ahmad Ismail, I felt hurt you know. I have a policy whereby mocking my mom directly or indirectly will end in a sucker punch in the nuts followed by a penampar jepun to the face. She's Chinese, and calling her a pendatang or asking her to go back China is not funny. Try to put yourself in my shoes to understand my feelings right now, if you can. Oh and please la, no need to make racial remarks during this Merdeka month. Puasa is tomorrow some more...

Well my dear good sir, I guess you have not heard of this concept. It was told to me quite some years ago when I was a kid, and I'm gonna end the post with some quotes from the concept;

"Chinese learned from the Malays, Indians learned from the Malays, and other non-Malays learned from Malays as well. They see how Malays operate and try to take in good things and throw away the bad things. That's why you see why the non-Malays even bother to take up the challenge of learning to speak Malay to better interact and learn, but sadly very few vice versas. This is what's happening in Malaysian business context; the non-Malays are not greedy, they're opportunists. The non-Malays are not born rich, they're hardworking for many generations. The non-Malays are not oppressive overlords who want to take over the country, they're fellow Malaysian like you and me [...]" [Anonymous, n.d.]

[mca.org.my]

Stop politicizing races and religions. Stop bad-mouthing and demonizing each other. And definitely stop stereotyping a race with a religion. We're not a nation which pratices racist tribalism, that thing expired 10,000 years ago. Remember this quote from a professor from UKM commenting the Permatang Pauh by-election "Politics is a business of giving hope". Digest that quote and the concept well dear sir.

External Link:

Thestaronline.com
MCA

No comments: